Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I will be turning 64 in September and am thinking of

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I will be turning 64 in September and am thinking of retiring early. What can you tell me about how to go about setting up some type of insurance until I can qualify for Medicare or is there some form of Medicare I can apply for now? I do not know much about insurance.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Well, I am a female if that makes any difference and I currently am drawing my late husband's Social security for 6 months out of the year.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I'm so sorry, but you'll not be eligible for Medicare until age 65 (unless you have certain serious medical conditions that would qualify you for Social Security Disability Insurance).

...

By if you project an income that's below 140% of the Federal Poverty level (FPL) you may be able to gt some assistance through the marketplace - especially since we're talking about a relatively short time here.

...

The 2017 FPL is $12,060 for and individual. SO projecting something less than 12060 x 1.4 = 16884 would generate some subsidy.

...

From Here:https://www.healthcare.gov/retirees/

..

"If you retire before you’re 65 and lose your job-based health plan when you do, you can use the Health Insurance Marketplace to buy a plan.

Losing health coverage qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period. This means you can enroll in a health plan even if it’s outside the annual Open Enrollment Period."

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

If you'll go to that site (and click the x on the popup) you'll be able to see the information I pasted in for you. Then if you open a new tab or go back to the site, the pup-up will come up again, and you can get started looking at plans and seeing what your cost would be.

...

Please let me know if you have ANYquestions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have otherquestions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on myaccuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only wayJustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance,a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, SocialSecurity/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986