Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I just turned 18 and no longer live at home. A check had…

Customer Question
I just turned 18...

I just turned 18 and no longer live at home. A check had been coming to the home for me and I need to know why I was receiving it. If it was because my dad was disabled or if it was for me having a disability.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
8/2/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 6 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi, My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

...

Children with a parent who collects SSDI benefits due to disability are usually eligible to receive benefits. Social Security includes biological children, adopted children, and dependent stepchildren in their definition of children. In order for a child to be eligible for these benefits, he or she must be:

• unmarried, and
  • younger than 18 years old.

...

Once you turn 18 a different set of rules apply: Adult children (18 or over) with a parent who collects SSDI can receive dependents benefits in the following circumstances:

• The child is a full-time student at a secondary school and is under 19 years old. (A child enrolled in college is not considered to be a full-time student for the purpose of receiving these benefits.) Benefits will usually continue until graduation or two months after your

...

So, if you've already turned 18 and are already out of school, and still receiving the benefit, there has been a determination made that you are disabled, and the benefits will continue.

...

I would check with social security to be sure. Because if that ISN'T the case, then you may get one of those surprising overpayment bills that can take two or three years to come (thereby leaving you owing thousands). Social Security is atrocious about this. It seems sometimes as if they do it on purpose. If not, it's certainly incompetence.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS