dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife will turn 62 this month. She is planning to start

Customer Question

My wife will turn 62 this month. She is planning to start receiving her SS benefit now at a reduced amount based on her age. I am 68 and not receiving any SS benefit at this time. Will my wife be impacted on her spousal benefit when I start receiving my benefit in the future? Also, when I pass, will she be able to step up to my SS benefit amount or will she be subject to a reduced benefit.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My wife will probably receive approx. $700 as a monthly benefit as near as I can figure.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If your wife applies for any social security benefits before her full retirement age she will permanently reduce her own but also all benefits available to her in the future, including spousal and widow/survivor benefits. If she applies for her own now her spousal benefits will only be 35% of the amount you were eligible for at your full retirement age of 66.

Her survivor/widow benefits will also be reduced. She will only get 75% of what you will be getting at the time of your death.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?