Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Second opinion] i paid into social security years ago when…

Customer Question
Second opinion] i paid...

Second opinion] i paid into social security years ago when min wage was 1.65 an hour. now I am 63 and they say I don't qualify for my own social security because I didn't pay enough in. I am currently paying ss. ive been working for 21/2 years.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

They say I have RA. will that qualify me

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

How MUCH you paid in (or made, which dictates how much you paid in) does not qualify or disqualify you.

...

It's whether you have 40 quarters of time that you paid into the system (10 years of work)

...

SO someone got this VERY wrong.

...

Now, if you already are taking another benefit such as a spousal benefit, it's important to know that we can't "stack benefits," as Social Security calls it.

...

But they WILL take you UP TO any higher benefit that to which you may be eligible.

...

SO, if you are already getting a spousal benefit and your benefit isn't at least that high (which IS based on how much you made over the years) it COULD be that you would get nothing in addition based on your own work record.

...

But if you are receiving NO benefits, and have more than 10 years of work history you DO qualify. Period.

That was regarding Social Security Retirement.

...

If we're talking Social Security disability, yes, can collect Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or SSDI (social security disability benefits) disability benefits for rheumatoid arthritis or for any other medically diagnosed physical or mental condition provided that your medical records can show that your symptoms are severe enough to prevent you from working at a substantial and gainful level.

...

FOr SSDI there has to be, again, some work record. But for SSI there does not (although iSSI is a needs based benefit for which you can have no more than 2000 in assets and VERY little income).

You may find this helpful:

...

http://www.ssdrc.com/condition-rheumatoid-arthritis.html

...

If you are considering an application for Social Security disability and you have rheumatoid arthritis there are some things you need to know about disability determination process.

The first and one of the most important factors involved in applying for disability benefits is work activity. You cannot be working and earning over the SGA monthly earnings limit. The SGA limit changes each year so please verify the limit before you apply. If you are earning over the SGA limit, your disability claim will be denied with a technical denial meaning without it ever being sent for a medical evaluation.

If you have satisfied the work aspect of the Social Security disability program, you should apply for disability. Social Security disability examiners use a disability guidebook known as the blue book to evaluate all disability claims. This book contains impairment listings for all body systems. The impairment listings contain the criteria needed to meet or equal the severity requirements for your particular condition.

In the case of rheumatoid arthritis, disability examiners use impairment listing 14.09 (Immune System disorders are evaluated under 14.00) Inflammatory Arthritis

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.