Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I received social security disability since I was about 62.

Customer Question
I received social security...

I received social security disability since I was about 62. I am now 75. Does the amount ever change??

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have been collecting social security since I was 62. I am now 75. The amount has never changed except for col increases. I want to know if I am eligible for more than I receive.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I received SS disability. Does that stay the same after 65?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
8/1/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 6 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unlike regular benefits, SSDI are not reduced if you apply before your full retirement age. SSDI are calculated as if you applied at 65. At full retirement age SSDI are automatically converted to your regular benefits. At 75 you are receiving your regular old age benefits, not disability benefits.

The amount will not change except for COLA adjustments.

What happens to the money paid to SS after 65, does it ever change the amount you receive?

It may be it is not very likely. Social security and Medicare withholding is a tax (just like income or property tax), not a voluntary contribution.

Your benefits, on the other hand, are based on your lifetime earnings (not how much was withheld from your pay). Your earnings after 66 may or may not increase your benefits, depending if your earnings increase your 35 year average (best 35 years in your lifetime).

If your earnings increased your average social security generally make the adjustment and pay you the difference retroactively back to January. For instance if your 2014 earnings increased your average social security would made the adjustment sometimes in mid 2015 and pay you the difference back to January 2015.

To see if your earnings made any difference you will need to call social security directly or access your online social security account to check your earnings and adjustments.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser