Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

When we receive our SS check on the third of the month, what…

Customer Question
When we receive our...

When we receive our SS check on the third of the month, what month is it covering? Is the July third check for June or July?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband passed on July 1st. I was told several years ago the check was for the previous month, when it is Social Sc

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I hit the wrong button, and sent it before I was done. But, when it is Social Security retirement that it covers the previous month. My husbands check was direct deposit into our account, the mortage payment and 2nd mortage payment are supposed to come out of that money. But SS wants it back. Its a mess. They didn't pay the payments so now they are charging me $25 each ($50) for late fees.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
8/1/2017
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 11 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

Yes, if it is social security, it is paid the month after it is due for - July for June.

However, it sounds like someone was trigger happy on the notification (if he gets paid on the 3rd but passed on the 1st, someone the very next day was already thinking about sending notificiation). I am actually a little surprised that the notification successfully stopped payment with 1-2 days notice, since you say he normally gets paid on the 3rd.

Sometimes the SSA when it knows the person due the money (your spouse) is not there to own it or receive it, they hold it to determine if there is someone else that has a right to take it - like his estate, a spouse, etc.

You say the SSA "wants it back" though, while you also say it wasn't used to pay the mortgages. Does it want it back or did it NOT send it at all? Or, did they send it and immediately reverse the transaction before the money could be sent to the mortgage people.

What did the local office say when you went down to deal with this?

going there next
they want the money back but it wasn't the full amount of his check, so they didn't take it. But the account is froze. I can't use the money. Going there now.