How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask retirementlawyer Your Own Question
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 17252
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
retirementlawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have custody of two grandchildren. Their mother is on

Customer Question

I have custody of two grandchildren.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Their mother is on disability and does not pay child support. Are the two boys eligible for social security benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Their father is in jail. I receive Alternative Maintenance from the State. Approximately $613 total for both boys.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 months ago.

you would be able to get child support from the biological parents, not from social security unless they were adopted.

Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 months ago.

since the mother is on disability, the kids should receive money from the mothers disabilty