retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
16356563

I have custody of two grandchildren. Their mother is on

Customer Question

I have custody of two grandchildren.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Their mother is on disability and does not pay child support. Are the two boys eligible for social security benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Their father is in jail. I receive Alternative Maintenance from the State. Approximately $613 total for both boys.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 months ago.

you would be able to get child support from the biological parents, not from social security unless they were adopted.

since the mother is on disability, the kids should receive money from the mothers disabilty