Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I first filed for disabilityin approxamately aug. 2006 was…

Customer Question
I first filed for...

I first filed for disabilityin approxamately aug. 2006 was denied was found to be disabled may 15 2007 only got 66666 months backpay

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

In aug 2006 i first applied for social security disability was denied .on august 27 2008 was fully favorable decison for disability. only recieved 6 months back pay was found to be disabled may 1515 2007. was told ss only paid 6 months back for everone waqs under this impression until friend of mine got 46,000 backpay. think im owed more money

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Dont know maybe . theycan tell me what they need

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
7/31/2017
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 11 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

There are some limits on back pay, which will likely explain.

First, from the date you applied on the application you eventually won on (not a prior application that you lost and either didn't appeal or appealed and lost), the back pay can never be more than 12 months worth of payment for months prior to the date of application.

Also, it pays for no months prior to the date of your determined ONSET of disability. If you were found to be disabled by letter that stated it found you to have proved you had been disabled AS OF 5/15/07, even though you alleged an earlier onset date, you will be due money ONLY from the month following 5 full months of being disabled. Thus, if you were found to be disabled AS OF 5/15/07, your waiting period ended at end of October 2007. Thus, you would be due a check for 11/2007 and each month thereafter.

Since you got a check for 6 months worth as back pay, that would typically mean that from the month the SSA made its finding, at that time, there were 6 months due. Certainly, the 6 months directly backwards. This means that at that time, when you started being due, you were already disabled for 5 months (the waiting period) but were not due money for those months.

Your friend, on the other hand, took a long time to win his or her case, rather than winning it fairly quickly (relatively) as you seem to have done)... if you had to wait longer to prove your case, but were still able to prove at least back to 5/15/07 or whoever your ONSET was proven to be, you would have waited some extra years to start collecting, but the back pay would be bigger.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me with 5 stars when you are done. It costs nothing extra but tells company to give mecredit for my assistance to you today. I look forward to assisting you inthe future, should you have legalquestions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!