Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

How do I go about reporting the death of my wife? My wife F.

Customer Question

How do I go about reporting the death of my wife?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My wife Judy F. Hammonds, SS####-##-####died on July 19th this year of cancer. She was receiving benefits from my account and I need to let SS know.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No that is all the info.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I'm so sorry for your loss.

...

If you provided a death certificate to the funeral home, they likely reported the death for you.

...

If they did not, so sorry, but you cannot report a death online.

...

You'll need either to call the main 1-800 number for social security or go into the local office.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

OR

...

You can do this by going to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.