Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to know how to change the bank account that SSA sends…

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know how to change the bank account that SSA sends my monthly benefit to.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

SSA now sends my monthly payments to my Bank of America account in California. I want to close that account so I need to send you the information about the other account which I have in Florida.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
7/31/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

Please understand that you are not talking with Social Security here. This is JustAnswer.com ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.

...

I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are for getting your deposit changed. You have three options

...

Social Security has created created "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, and start, stop or make changes to your direct deposit.

...

You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and make the change immediately.

...

If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. They can get this done for you.

OR

...

GO directly to your bank (or new bank, if that's the case). All depository institutions have the forms to get this done for you.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.