Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Both my wife, my wife is 67 and applying for Social

Customer Question
Both my wife Accountant's...

Both my wife

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My wife is 67 and applying for Social Security, I am 68 and want to hold off until 70 to take mine. Question can I file for restricted spousal benefit which I was told I could get 50% of her amount and my benefit would continue to grow until I take it at 70 and at that point her restricted benefit I was taking would go away. Am I correct?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I think I stated what I thought to be correct

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
7/28/2017
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I'd like to welcome you as a new member of the site. Please remember that the experts on site that assist you are not site employees and we are only paid for our help when you rate our service to you.

Because you were born before January 2, 1954, you have been grandfathered in and are allowed to apply for a Restricted spouse benefit as soon as your wife applies for her benefit. You will receive 50% of her benefit level at her full retirement age (66), and your own benefit will continue to grow until you reach age 70.

At age 70 you will want to switch over to your own retirement benefit will have reached maximum value by then, except for cost of living increases which are typically paid annually.

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney