Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Seeking information on SSI disability, Just curious if I

Customer Question

seeking information on SSI disability
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Just curious if I would qualify for SSI disability payment
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I've been issued a permanent disabled placard and the Veterans Administration has put me at 100% disabled, unable to hold gainful employment
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Are you asking about SSI or SSDI?

...

The main difference between Social Security Disability ( SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is the fact that SSD is available to workers who have accumulated a sufficient number of work credits, while SSI disability benefits are available to low-income individuals who have either never worked or who haven't earned enough work credits to qualify for SSDI.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
SSDI then
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

To meet the SSI you must have less than $2,000 in assets (or $3,000 for a couple) and a VERY limited, essentially no, income.

...

With SSDI, you'll need some time having paid into the system, meet the medical definition of definition from Social Security, and not generate more than 1170 per month in earnings

...

OK, bear with a minute and I'll get the SSA definition of disability

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Here is Social Security's definition of disability: You are entitled to receive Social Security disability (SSDI) benefits when you are no longer able to perform a "substantial" amount of work as the result of a physical or mental impairment that is expected to last at least 12 months, or possibly result in death. (To Social Security, a substantial amount of work, called "substantial gainful activity: is making $1,170 or more per month, before taxes.)

...

A shortcut to satisfying Social Security's definition of disability is for a person's disability or impairment to meet the level of severity described in the Social Security medical listings book (called the Listing of Impairments).

...

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm

...

To determine whether you're able to perform SGA, Social Security will look first to see if you're capable of doing your last job, or past jobs ou've had in the past 15 years. If not, Social Security will assess whether you can do other work. Social Security will make this evaluation while taking into consideration your age, level of education, and the type of skills you learned in the past.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Specific criteria for getting approved for various medical conditions are included in the Social Security Listing of Impairments.

...

It's important that your doctor is familiar with these criteria when submitting statements on your behalf.

...

It is also useful to explain to your doctor just how your condition limits your daily activities so your doctor can include this information in your medical records.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

As an example, , a person with a 9th grade education who cannot do his or her past work (for instance, because it requires heavy lifting) will not be expected to perform other work that goes beyond his or her educational limits.

...

And individuals with severe mental or "affective" impairments (that is, low IQ, depression, or anxiety) will not be expected to perform other work that requires detailed attention and concentration.

...

Hope that helps to clarify