emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I will be 63 I January. My husband passed 3 years ago. Am I

Customer Question

I will be 63 I January. My husband passed 3 years ago. Am I eligible to work and receive part of his SSI?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was told when he passed that I was not eligible to receive any widow benefits. Was that because of my age?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: He worked for the Railroad for a few years also. Is there a widows pension from that?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You cannot get his social security benefits, his benefits belonged to him only. But you can get widows benefits based on his records. You are eligible for reduced widows benefits as early as 60, to get full benefits you would have to wait until your full retirement age. However, if you apply for any social security benefits before your full retirement age and continue working, your benefits will further be reduced by your earnings. In 2017, your benefits will be reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over 16,920.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thanks

You're welcome.