Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Change banks on on ss disability checks, have american eagle

Customer Question
change banks on on ss...
change banks on on ss disability checks
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: have american eagle federal credit union and would like to change to td bank with new router
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
7/28/2017
Social Security Expert: CGCPA, CPA replied 3 months ago
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA

There are 2 ways to accomplish this.

Go to www.ssa.gov and sign in to your account. If you do not have an online account you will need to open one - that should only take a few minutes. When that is done you can request the "change of depositary bank" through the search bar. The processing of the change will take a couple months to become effective but once you see a deposit into your new account you can close the old one.

The second choice is to go to your new bank and ask for their assistance with this. They should have a form for you to complete. Most banks will then send it to Social Security for you. Again, do not close the old account until you see a deposit into the new account.

There is a third way that works but is not as convenient. Go to a nearby Social Security office with your Social Security card, photo ID and a check from the old and the new accounts. They can make the change and should be able to tell you when it will be effective.

I would refrain from using the telephone for this. It is far too easily messed up.

Finally, I ask that, once I have addressed your query to your satisfaction, you approve and rate my service to you. Experts do not get paid for our work unless you do so. Thank you.

dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY