Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

How many years or weeks is needed at your top salary to

Customer Question

How many years or weeks is needed at your top salary to receive your maximum benefits
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: How many weeks at your top salary is SS benefits used to calculate your top payout
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

In order to get the top payout, you'd have to earn the income cap amount per year (the maximum income level that is taxed for Ss purposes) for at least 35 years. The SSA calculation is based off of the TOP 35 years, so if you have 45 years of work but the first 10 were not high and not at the max cap, then they would not effect if the other 35 were maxed out.