LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My mom lived and worked here in the US for 35+ years but has

Customer Question

My mom lived and worked here in the US for 35+ years but has since moved to Norway and gave up her green card can she get social security benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: She was a green card holder....she gave if up a few years back.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: she is of retirement age in 1 year her kids both are US citizens so she could get a green card again
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unless your mother returns to the US and gets another Green Card, she will not be eligible to receive any social security benefits---even though she paid into the system when she was in the US as a Green Card holder in the past. Under certain circumstances, after she gets her Green Card back, she can continue to collect social security for certain periods of time if she leaves the country---but it is rather complex as to how long she can remain gone. Here is additional information about social security benefits for Green Card holders: http://finance.zacks.com/green-card-holders-living-abroad-eligible-social-security-benefits-7673.html

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug