retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
16356563

My husband died on June 26 at 78 years old. What information

Customer Question

My husband died on June 26 at 78 years old. What information do I need to give social security regarding his death?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I need to be drawing his social security instead of mine. How do I go about getting his changed over to me?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Is there anything I don't know that I should know?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 months ago.

This is an unfortunate situation,

First, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so they can make the report.

If you are already receiving benefits based on his record, you should contact social security office, and advise them you want to apply for survivors benefits, they will make the switch, and may ask you to provide the following

• Proof of the worker's death;
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;
  • Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; and
  • Marriage certificate

Make sure you contact social security now, and apply for the one time lump sum payment as well,

a one-time payment of $255 to the surviving spouse will be given if living with the deceased.

call social security toll-free at 1-***-***-**** (for the deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-***-***-****).

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive payment for the answers.