LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband is 72 but he does not have enough quarters to

Customer Question

My husband is 72 but he does not have enough quarters to receive social security. I am receiving social security. Is he eligible to receive social security benefits because of my status.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am 70 and receive social security. My husband is 72 but is not eligible to receive social security because he did not pay into it enough. He is also a Swiss citizen, but he has been living in the U.S. since 2001. We were married in 2007. He has a green card, but he has not become a U.S. citizen yet. Is he eligible to receive any benefit because of my social security benefit?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I think I've given all the relevant details.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your husband is eligible to apply for a spouse benefit based on your work history so long as you have been married at least 1 year and he is residing legally with you in the US. His Green Card will work just fine. He does not have to become a US Citizen to get a spouse benefit.

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response. We will go to the social security office and apply for his benefit.