dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am a recent widow. Went to SS office today to ck on widows

Customer Question

I am a recent widow. Went to SS office today to ck on widows benefits.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I left very dissatisfied. It was my understanding I could draw my husbands ss and widows benefits also. The agent only figured my earnings to a small percentage of my deceased husbands benefits to be added to my earnings. I am very confused. This did match up with what other widows had told that were drawing widows retirement benefits.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: All I can say is that I just have a gut feeling something is not right in the figures she gave me. I have been reading a great deal about this subject since my husband died. I had gone to the ss office about 2 wks ago and saw a different person. He said it would be complicated and made me another appt for today. He mentioned the widows retirement benefits and I asked him what that meant and he said more money. All the extra money she said I was entitled to be added to my 1200.00 was 272.00. In fact, the way she talked I would only be getting about 30.00 more than I had been drawing. It just didn't make sense.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your widows benefits is combination of your own benefits and spousal adjustment but the total cannot be more than your husband was receiving at the time of his death. If you applied for your own benefits early, before your full retirement age the amount can be reduced by as much as 25%, depending how early you applied.

How much was your husband receiving at the time of his death? When did you apply for your own benefits?