dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am 67 years old and am receiving 1/2 of my divorced

Customer Question

I am 67 years old and am receiving 1/2 of my divorced (married 30 years) spouse's benefits. When he dies, (I retired at 66 years old and started receiving his benefits.) do I receive his full benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am single now but what if I remarry? What benefits would I receive?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Just to be clear on the language, you are not and you will not receive HIS benefits. You are receiving spousal benefits based on his records, your eligibility will not reduce or affect his benefits in any way. If he dies you will be entitled to widows benefits based on his records and because you did not apply before your full retirement age, your benefits will be 100% of benefits he will be receiving at the time of his death. If he has a new spouse she may also be eligible for her own widows benefits based on his records.

Marriage after age of 60 will NOT affect your benefits. You can remarry and keep your spousal benefits (or widows benefits if he happens to die in meantime). After you are married for 9 month you can check if you could collect benefits based on your new spouse's records.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?