emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am currently on disability and my ex-husband is going to

Customer Question

I am currently on disability and my ex-husband is going to retire and take his social security in November of this year. Can I take 1/2 of his social security and disability?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: We were married for 13 years so I am entitled to part of his benefits but I do not know if I can apply for them and still keep my disability.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: does he need my social security number or anything else of my personal information?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You cannot collect disability and spousal benefits at the same time. You can check with the social security (we do not have access to any government database, including social security) if benefits based on his records will be higher than your current disability benefits but if you decide to switch (you will have to be at least 62 to do so) before your full retirement age your benefits will be reduced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. It helps greatly for me to make a decision.

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One more question, I think I know the answer but you never know unless you ask. Can I take the spousal benefit and my own social security at the same time?

No. You can collect only one benefits at the time. You cannot combine your benefits.