Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

How can I change my fed tax holding on my SS check? and how

Customer Question

How can I change my fed tax holding on my SS check? and how can I get a copy of my monthly allotment letter as I am away from my home?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I want to withhold federal income tax on my monthly SS payment.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No, my home CPA told me I should do this as currently I do not have federal income tax withheld. Also I need to know how to get a copy of my annuity amount letter online.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me a moment and I’ll provide my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Actually you can do both online.

Social Security knows that people can lose the paper documentation. This is why they created "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, etc.

...

You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and print your document(s) immediately.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

And on the withholding, here's the form for that.

...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4v.pdf

...

Note that your choices are 7, 10, 15 and 25%

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Take or send the completed form to your closest Social Security office (if you send, I'd recommend that you send certified).

...

Click here for a Social Security Office locator, where you can enter a zip code to find the closest office.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986