How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12681
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My bank account has changed for direct deposit.. How do I go

Customer Question

My bank account has changed for direct deposit.. How do I go about changing info with social security?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I need info on changing bank info for direct deposit for monthly social security monies.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Np.
JA: What else should I tell the Retirement Accountant?
Customer: I am needing info on how to go about changing info with social security to deposit monies in the correct account.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.


Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here. This is ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.


I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are for getting this done. You have THREE options.


Social Security created "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, and set up or change your direct deposit.


You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and make the change, immediately.


Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY


If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:


(2) By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.



(3) You can go to your bank (or new bank if this is a new bank) and they can change this for you. By law, all depository institutions have the forms to get this done.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way will compensate me for the work here.



I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.