How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12011
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to defer Medicare enrollment, My birthday is

This answer was rated:

I want to defer Medicare enrollment
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My birthday is ***** am still employed and don't plan to retire this year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no................not sure! I want to keep my employer's health care coverage



You don't have to enroll for Medicare Part B if you have group coverage at work, to avoid the late enrollment penalty when you DO enroll.


You'll have a special enrollment period when you DO lose group coverage (so you won't have to wait for open enrollment).


I WOULD recommend that you keep documentation of the group coverage for when you DO need to enroll


There's no reason, however, not to enroll in part A (which is free). As a matter of fact some group plans require that you do this at age 65, as they become the secondary payee for hospitalization claims.

If your employer has fewer than 20 employees, however, you should enroll in Medicare Part B when you are first eligible. Medicare is the primary insurer, which means it pays before your employer's insurance pays. If you don't enroll, your employer's plan can refuse to cover you for services that Medicare would have covered.


You need to check with your group plan on these issues. You likely have a phone number on your insurance card for this.


Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way will credit me for the work here.



I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Lane and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you