SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

My wife of 49 years passed away on Tuesday 7/11/17. Her SSN

Customer Question

My wife of 49 years passed away on Tuesday 7/11/17. Her SSN deposit arrived at our BB&T joint account on 7/12/17. How do I notify SSN about her passing away (we do not yet have death certificates)?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: BCBS payments need to be canceled but that is not part of SSN - correct?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  SSA.Help4u.168 replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. We appreciate your trust in us. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you today.

Q: How do I notify SSN about her passing away (we do not yet have death certificates)?

A: You can call the social security office at 1-***-***-**** (TTY: 1-***-***-****)., or it might be less of a hassle asking the funeral home to report her death to social security. SEE BELOW:

In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/howtoapply.html

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. On the other hand, if I have answered your question, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Hello again. I am checking in with you to see if you require further assistance with this matter. If not, again, I ask that you please take the extra time/step and scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.