Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Social security is challenging the benefits of my wife and I

Customer Question

Hi,Social security is challenging the benefits of my wife and I for 3/2016 thru 12/2016.I am retired. I left my company with a buyout In 10/2015. The buyout paid me for the entire year of 2016. I received the check in 1/2016.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: SSI claiming they paid me too much
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

OK, so I think you are saying that you did NO work after 10/2015 and received what may be a 'special payment' in January 2016, that equalled what your salary would have been for a full year of 2016 work, which you did not perform.

Did you just receive a letter from SSA asking about the moneys now showing up via the IRS? Or did they make an actual determination that you were in fact earning after you started collecting early SS retirement and owe it back. If the latter, that letter SHOULD have steps for appealing and if so, you do not want to breach that deadline, so read it all carefully. But it may just be they are asking, given the new info they received.

IN any event, you will want to argue and show that it was a special payment, NOT involving any continued working. See here:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10063.pdf

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me with 5 stars when you are done. It costsnothing extra but tells company to give me credit for my assistance to youtoday. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!