dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My son died the 6th of June. He was on disability. Why was

Customer Question

My son died the 6th of June. He was on disability. Why was my grandson denied survivor disability payments
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My son, Kevin J. Pfeiffer, was on disability when he died in early June. My daughter-in-law applied for survivorship benefits for her son and was turned down. Why???
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Like what? As far as I'm concerned, my son was receiving disability benefits. Social Security still owes him (his heir) benefits from July of 2013 until his date of death, June 6, 2017. His son is entitled to benefits from July of 2013 of 50% of his father's benefit and from June 6, 2017 forward for 75% of his father's benefit. Where is it?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 months ago.

There are two disability programs. If your son was on SSD, and your grandson is under age 18, he is entitled to survivor benefits. But those benefits only continue until age18. There are no exceptions. If your grandson is under age 18, your daughter in law needs to go to any SSA office with a copy of his birth's certificate and reapply. Note, she must bring the birth certificate to show proof of age.