Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Referring to my previous question sent at 4:45pm today, if…

Referring to my previous question...
Referring to my previous question sent at 4:45pm today, if my wife takes her spousal benefit now, will that stay the same until I die, or will it increase when I turn 70 and take my SS benefit, which will likely be around $3000 per month?
7/5/2017
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

Doug again here.

If and when your wife takes her spouse benefit, it will remain at that level (with the exception of annual cost of living increases) until either she passes, or if you pass before she does, she will be entitled to a survivor benefit at that time which will be equal to 100% of the amount you are collecting from social security at the time of your passing.

Here benefit will not increase based upon you taking a delayed benefit between 66 and 70 so that your own benefit will increase by 32%. But on your death, she will get the benefit of that delayed benefit you will receive if you wait to age 70.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney

Thank you once again for your positive rating of my service. It is always my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will continue to ask for me on JustAnswer as future needs arise.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

Doug