Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Both spouses retire in the same year. The husband is 65 and

the wife is 62. Does...
Both spouses retire in the same year. The husband is 65 and the wife is 62. Does the reduction in payment to the 62 year old still apply?
6/23/2017
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Yes, it still would apply, to either her retirement benefit based upon her own earning record or her Spousal benefit based upon your earnings record.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response.

Thanks very much,

I was told by Social Security that because she retired at 62 she could only get 32% of my benefit payment and not 50%.

That's about right as I indicated above her spousal benefit would be reduced at the rate of 8% a year for each year she collects retirement benefits prior to reaching her full retirement age. Actually, the number would work out to approximately 34% depending upon her year of birth as if she collects any retirement benefit at age 62, that benefit would be reduced by 32% of whatever it would be at her full retirement age. So, if you reduce her full spousal benefit of 50% by 32% you wind up with 34% of your full retirement benefit. If her full retirement age is beyond age 66, then the reduction would be greater, possibly resulting in the 32% figure you quoted. If she was born in 1955, her full retirement age is 66 & 2 months.

Also, if you retired now at age 65, your retirement benefits would be permanently reduced by 8% as your full retirement age is 66.

My year of birth was 1947 her year of birth was 1950. She attempted to foul for spousal benifits at age 66. That is when social security stated she could not draw the 50% spousal rate. I did not start until I was 67 with my benefits. She thinks her rates were reduced because I did not start at 65. I was still working and would had my rate reduced do to income.
I may do the call once I have this answer.
Thanks Stephen
Lynn

Sorry for the delay in responding, for some reason I didn't receive the note that you had responded to my last comments.

I'm not sure I understand your question at this point. If she filed for retirement benefits at age 62 based upon her own earnings record, then her retirement benefits would have been reduced by 32% as that would be 4 years prior to her full retirement age of 66. (8% for each year prior to her full retirement age). Once you file early for retirement benefits, any retirement benefits that you are eligible for would be reduced by that factor.

Your full retirement age was also age 66, so if you had begun taking retirement benefits at age 65, your benefits would have been permanently reduced by 8%. But if you were still working then it is likely that your benefits would have not been paid as your working income would have been too high. Since you began receiving benefits at age 67, then your benefits have been increased by 8% beyond your normal full retirement benefits. That would have no affect on your spouse's benefits.

The only reason that your spouse would not be eligible for a full Spousal Benefit, based upon 50% of your full retirement benefit (not your 8% enhanced benefit), is that she began collecting her retirement benefits early (4 years prior to her full retirement age).

Do you have any additional follow-up questions?

Please remember to rate my response.

Thanks very much,

keeperumiami
One last question, if I die would she get my complete benefit are will it be reduced?

As a widow, she would receive your full retirement benefit, including the enhanced benefit you are receiving for starting your retirement benefits later than your full retirement age. [67 verses 66 means your full retirement benefit was increased at the rate of 8% a year (pro-rated by month - so if you were 67 & 6 months old when you started your full retirement benefits would be increased by 12% (1.5 x 8% = 12%).

keeperumiami
keeperumiami