How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2928
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am turning 66 in July and my wife is 73. I want to claim

Customer Question

I am turning 66 in July and my wife is 73. I want to claim part of her SS benefit. how do I do this?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I went to a SS office and was told I made too much money, however, in all of the planning and SS classes I have been to I have been told there is no limit to monetary income. I have to file before my birthday next month if I am to claim this benefit.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No, I just need to file and how do I do this online?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If benefits based on your records are higher than spousal benefits based on her records (50% of her benefits), there's no good reason to claim spousal benefits. Why would you opt for lower benefits if you can collect higher based on your own records?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am still working and I would prefer to wait to claim my benefits when I am 70. My individual situation works out better this way.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 days ago.

Ok. I see. Since you were 62 or older at the end of 2015 you still qualify for "restricted application" - claim lower spousal benefits and let your own grow. Most likely the agent did not understand what you are trying to do. You have to specifically ask for "restricted" benefits, otherwise the agent will assume you are applying for your regular benefits.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok now I understand. Is it easier to do this on line or go to a SS office and do it there?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 days ago.

Once you reach your full retirement age, earnings is not an issue. You can apply online here but I would suggest to call or apply at the office to make sure that you are getting the restricted benefits, not your own. The online application may be little confusing.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your help! Have a great weekend.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 days ago.

You're welcome.