emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I claimed my social security at age 66, September 2014, but

I claimed my social security at age 66, September 2014, but kept working and retired on 12/31/2016. Can I expect an adjustment to my monthly payment?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I worked for the General Services Administration. What additional information do you need?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. Other than the retirement benefit, there are no other issues.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your benefits are based on your lifetime earnings (not how much was withheld from your pay). Your earnings after 66 may or may not increase your benefits, depending if your earnings increase your 35 year average (best 35 years in your lifetime).

If your earnings increased your average social security generally make the adjustment and pay you the difference retroactively back to January. For instance if your 2014 earnings increased your average social security would made the adjustment sometimes in mid 2015 and pay you the difference back to January 2015.

To see if your earnings made any difference you will need to call social security directly or access your online social security account to check your earnings and adjustments.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

You're welcome.