Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I started to receive Widows Benefits when I turned 60. I was

Customer Question

I started to receive Widows Benefits when I turned 60. I was told when I turned 66 I would receive my husbands full benefits. Is this accurate?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I began receiving Widows Benefits and was told when I would receive what my husband made when I was 66. Is this true?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I'm so sorry to be the messenger here, but what you were likely told (if the person had it right) was that if you had WAITED to age 66 to TAKE the survivor benefit ... it would grow to 100% of your husband's benefit.

...

See this from Social Security (from here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou5.html)

...

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;

...

SO as you can see the benefit gradually raises from 71.5% to 100% based on the year you start taking the benefit.

...

Now, it may be that your own work record benefit could be larger that HIS becasue you waited to take it ,,, AND it will grow even more, if you stay on the survivor benefit and let your own benefit grow at that additional 8% per year up until age 70 (making your own work record benefit a full 132% of your full retirement (age 66) benefit.

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986