LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My wife and I, both born in 1951, are signed on for Social

Customer Question

My wife and I, both born in 1951, are signed on for Social Security. I don't plan to begin taking benefits until 2021. My wife did not work long enough to take benefits. Can she file a "restricted application" at 66 and begin receiving spousal benefits? Can we locate that form on line?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: The basics are: My wife and I are both 66. I am entitled to draw SS benefits based on my earnings history, but my wife isn't. I plan to begin drawing benefits at age 70. Can she begin receiving spousal benefits at 66? How do we apply for this?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Send the answer by email please.***@******.***
Expert:  LawTalk replied 13 days ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your wife will not be eligible to apply for a spouse benefit of any kind---whether it is restricted or a straight spouse benefit, until such time as you have actually applied for your own retirement benefit.

She can apply for the benefit online once you have filed your application to start your own benefit. Each of you can apply online for your Social Security Retirement Benefit or a Spouse Benefit at this site: http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/about.htm Scroll down the page to where it reads: "Already near retirement age, you can:" and then click on "Apply for Retirement Benefits".

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 13 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug