How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29779
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 71 year old Vietnam veteran who served from Aug. 1964

Customer Question

I am a 71 year old Vietnam veteran who served from Aug. 1964 till Sep. 1967. I am currently collecting Soc.Sec. since I was 66 years old while still working full time. I have a 50% war related disability. I would like to know is if I'm entitled for additional benefit because of my service ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 3 months ago.

Under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for your military service from 1957 through 2001 can be credited to your record for Social Security purposes. These extra earnings credits may help you qualify for Social Security or increase the amount of your Social Security benefit.

If your active military service occurred

  • From 1957 through 1967, we will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
  • From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
  • After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

For Service in 1957 Through 1977 -- you are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.

You will need to contact a local SSA office and verify if you are already credited - and if not - provide supporting documents regarding your service.
Let me know your zip code and I will find a local SSA office serving your area,

Expert:  lev-tax replied 3 months ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.