Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Can my spouse receive any income from my current social

Customer Question
Can my spouse receive any...

Can my spouse receive any income from my current social security upon my death? My ss# ***** *********

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 day by:
6/1/2017
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service tonight.

I'd like to make you aware that you are not communicating with the social security administration, but to JustAnswer, a pay-for-service question and answer site (you have offered $32 for a resolution of your situation). I can help you but have no ability to directly access social security's confidential information they have for you.

In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How long have you been married?

2. Is your spouse a US citizen?

3. How old is your spouse?

4. Any idea when you will die?

5. Is your spouse already receiving social security? If so---which of you earns the most each month?

Doug

Good evening,

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience. I look forward to assisting you.

Doug

My spouse is a citizen of the United States, been married since Jan 19 1979, my spouse is sixty years old, Wife does not receive social sec income and I make the most money

Good morning,

Thanks for the additional information. I apologize for the delay, but by the time you responded I was out of my office for the evening.

Based upon the fats of your situation, yes, your wife will receive a survivor benefit from social security if you predecease her. As her survivor benefit, if she is at least full retirement age at the time of your death, she would receive 100% of the amount of monthly benefit that you presently receive as a retirement benefit. If she is not yet 66 at that time, she will be eligible for an early survivor benefit that will be less than the full 100% by about 5% per year that she starts the benefit before age 66.

So, if you died while she was still 60, she would receive about 71% of your monthly benefit. But if she is 66 or older at that time, she would get the full 100% as her survivor benefit.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney