keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I'm a disabled veteran, I receive V A Benefits (100%

Customer Question

I'm a disabled veteran, I receive V A Benefits (100% unemployability) plus I receive SSDI. I want to work part time for Uber. As long as my earnings are under the $840 monthly limit and I only work a few hours a month will my SSDI be in jeopardy??
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

That is correct.

If you were to exceed the 2017 monthly earnings limit of $840., the Trial Work period would be triggered. Here is the way the SSA describes the situation:

"Earnings trigger a trial work period
During a trial work period, a beneficiary receiving Social Security disability benefits may test his or her ability to work and still be considered disabled. We do not consider services performed during the trial work period as showing that the disability has ended until services have been performed in at least 9 months (not necessarily consecutive) in a rolling 60-month period. In 2017, any month in which earnings exceed $840 is considered a month of services for an individual's trial work period."

So even if you were to exceed the $840. in any one month, that would only count as 1 month of a 9 month Trial Work Period, which would not affect your monthly benefits.

Thanks very much for using JustAnswer.com.

Please remember to rate my response.