LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Am I eligible to get an increase in my SS benefits because

Customer Question

Am I eligible to get an increase in my SS benefits because of my veteran status?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was on active duty from September 1956 to September 1959.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i don't know? I was honorably discharged.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country!

You are referring to the extra earnings that social security has granted several categories of US Veterans. Because you were active duty during the periods of 1957 through 1967, social security automatically added the extra credits to your record when you first applied for Social Security benefits. Whether you have already started collecting your benefits or you are about to apply, there is nothing extra that you need to do. Social security will see that you were paid by the military when your work history is accessed to determine your benefit amount and the extra $300 per quarter in earnings for those times you are, or were, active duty during 1957-1967 were or will be automatically added.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug