How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 11830
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a husband and wife are getting a divorce, does the

Customer Question

If a husband and wife are getting a divorce, does the ex-wife receive any of the money that the ex-husband received during the 23 years of marriage?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband is retired military, is receiving Social Security Benefits and Disability. Can I receive part of his Social Security after we are divorced?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi My name's Lane.


I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance,a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist)designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment and I’ll provide myinitial response and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Yes. If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if the following are all true:


  • You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.


Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

You can read bout this directly from SSA here: but they are very hard to deal with in terms of Q&A. So let me know if you have questions


In fact, please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!


Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

did you see my answer?

Related Social Security Questions