TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I want to know if I must retire at age 70 to receive my

Customer Question

I want to know if I must retire at age 70 to receive my benefits or if I can work another year and retire at age 71?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I want to know if I must retire at age 70 to receive my benefits or if I can work another year and retire at age 71?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I'm age 69 and considering retirement next year at age 70, hence my question. I want to know if I must retire at age 70 to receive my benefits or if I can work another year and retire at age 71?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

You can still continue to work and receive your benefits. You would not be penalized either for still working.
If you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, SSA will reduce your benefit. You are over full retirement age so that would not happen.
Please let me know if you need more information.
If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated.