LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Does the husband need a copy of marriage certificate to

Customer Question

Does the husband need a copy of marriage certificate to apply for SS from his deceased wife's account? We have Birth certs and passports.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Robert & Regina Jones were married on Nov 1, 1980. She passed away on May 2, 1917. He worked selfemployed for several years. We believe he could get a higher benefit collecting on her account.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I will be doing most of the communication for him as he does not retain info as he could.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

A surviving spouse needs a copy of the marriage license, a copy of the death certificate and both of their social security numbers in order to apply for a survivor benefit.

Birth certificates and passports do not prove the existence of a marriage---which is a requirement to collect a survivor benefit.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug