How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died 10/14/2016. Can I receive part of his social

Customer Question

My husband died 10/14/2016 . Can I receive part of his social security even though I have my own social security?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am 75 yrs. old and cannot work due to a heart valve problem. my husband died oct. 14 and I am having problms meeting my bills can I get a partial from my husband's social security. my own social security is a little more than his was. please let me know if there is any help for me.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: do you need personal information
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Social security benefits are not transferable, meaning only the original owner can get his or her benefits. However you may be eligible for benefits based on his records if higher than your own benefits. Were his benefits higher than your own benefits? At what age did you apply for your own benefits?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was 62 yrs. old when I applied for my social security and it is higher than my husband's social security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Because you applied early for your own benefits, your survivor benefits will also be reduced by about 25%. If 75% his are higher than what you are currently getting you can contact social security and ask to be switched to survivor benefits. But only social security can give you exact number.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
discontinue as I saw the message sent to my from my previous question