How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matthew Breecher Your Own Question
Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 286
Experience:  Director
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Matthew Breecher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I applied for Medicare Part A based on X Husbands social

Customer Question

I applied for Medicare Part A based on X Husbands social security earnings/ I have a great teachers pension- WHY did they send me a check for social security?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My school system did not pay into social security, so I did not have enough points to receive Medicare Part A unless I paid $400 per month for it - they told me that if I provided marriage license & divorce decree showing I had been married over 10 years that I could use X husbands points to receive Medicare at no cost! I took statements of my pension to the office / so they knew what I made!! I'm afraid it will affect my pension- do not want that/ this has been a nightmare!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Just to receive Medicare Part A at $0 cost or at least more reasonable cost!!
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm in the system w/ my social security number & M at the end - the letter I got w/ check today has X husbands social security number w/ B6 at the end/ they haven't put it together in the right places! I turn 65 June 10.
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 5 months ago.

If you were married for more than 10 years, you are entitled to benefits based on the greater of your contributions or your ex-husbands income. This is to protect the spouse who might get divorced or become widowed and never worked. However, there is what is called a Windfall Elimination Provision. This reduces your Social Security by other pensions (say the State Retirement or Foreign Retirement). So long as you tell the SSA about your other retirement, you should not have an issue.

Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 5 months ago.

Frankly, I am surprised at such a question. Many questions are people who have substantial other pensions, retirement, and earnings and are upset their Social Security is reduced. Social Security was designed to supplement an individual in old age, widowed, or disabled; it was not designed to be a persons only source of retirement.


Accordingly, you are benefiting from the design of our system. You are receiving both Medicare and additional retirement benefits as you are legally entitled to.