Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Director
37297873

If my dad qualifies for ssi and owns his home - can he leave

Customer Question

Hi, yes! if my dad qualifies for ssi and owns his home - can he leave the home to his kids in his will?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my dad is 70 and does not have enough SS credits to receive benefits (he has 20 of the 40 required)
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 4 months ago.

To answer your question, yes he can leave the house to his children. By default, assets usually go to children, if there is no spouse, under probate.

I hope I answered your question with sufficient detail, accuracy, and completeness based on the facts communicated. I would be happy to expand my answer should you need clarification, before you rate my response. If no additional information is needed, please rate my response, based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good or bad news/content. We (the experts) are only compensated when an answer is accepted and rated with at least 3 stars; but my goal is your complete satisfaction and a 5 star rating. I appreciate your prompt response. Sincerely, ***** ***** Breecher, CPA.