LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Wondering if I can apply for ss benefit from my ex husband.

Customer Question

Wondering if I can apply for ss benefit from my ex husband. We have been divorced since 1980 and he has remarried and I have not. I read that I can if I fit criteria. I'm 72..soon to be 73 and live on my ss which is only $907 per month.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I have to rely on EBT for food which is only $60 per month and really having a hard time financially. I get some assistance from section 8 for my rent and depend on medicare and medicaid.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you were married to your ex for at least 10 years you are eligible to apply for an ex-spouse benefit---even if he has remarried. You should call, or better yet, go into your local social security office---take a copy of your old marriage license, a copy of the divorce decree and your social security numbers----and apply for an ex-spouse benefit.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug