Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Director
37297873

I have been told that i am eligible to collect half of my

Customer Question

I have been told that i am eligible to collect half of my husbands social security. We are seperated and I collect SSD. How do i go about finding out if this is possible
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What information is needed
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I would like to assist you. To confirm, you are now separated and not divorced, correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is correct

You are not eligible to receive a spousal benefit until your spouse files for their own benefit first; different rules will apply if you do get divorced (you might be entitled to more in benefits).

As a spouse, you can claim a Social Security benefit based on your own earnings record, or you can collect a spousal benefit that will provide you 50% of the amount of your spouse’s Social Security benefit as calculated at their full retirement age (FRA). (Each person's FRA depends on their year of birth.)

...

If you file before you reach your own full retirement age, your spousal benefit will be calculated as 50% of what your spouse would get at their full retirement age, but then it will be further reduced because you are filing early.

...

You are automatically entitled to receive the benefit that provides you the higher monthly amount; either a benefit based on your own earnings, or a spousal benefit based on your spouse's or ex-spouse's earnings, and prior to reaching full retirement age, Social Security makes this determination for you.

I hope I answered your question with sufficient detail, accuracy, and completeness based on the facts communicated. I would be happy to expand my answer should you need clarification, before you rate my response. If no additional information is needed, please rate my response, based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good or bad news/content. We (the experts) are only compensated when an answer is accepted and rated with at least 3 stars; but my goal is your complete satisfaction and a 5 star rating. I appreciate your prompt response. Sincerely, ***** ***** Breecher, CPA.