LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 65 years old and intend to work until age 70 at which

Customer Question

I am 65 years old and intend to work until age 70 at which time I'll file for social security benefits. My wife is age 64 and is retired. Can she apply and receive her benefit now(its much lower than mine) and then switch to a spousal benefit when I retire at age 70?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, absolutely, because your wife is over 62 she can apply for her own benefits now and then when you apply for your own retirement benefits at age 70 she can apply for a spouse benefit at that time if it will put more money in her pocket.

She will not get the full 50% of your benefit because she took her own benefit before age 66, but she will get more. Here is how the calculation will go when she switches to a spouse benefit when you reach 70:

Let’s say the wife’s Primary Insurance Amount (PIA which is her eligibility at full retirement age 66) is $1,000. She files for her own benefit at 64 and receives a reduced retirement benefit of $875.

Her husband has a PIA of $2500. She is eligible to receive one-half of his PIA at her full retirement age. $2500 (his PIA); divided by two, that equals $1,250 (This is the full spouse’s rate). Social Security will subtract from the $1250 (the full spouse’s rate) – $1000 (her PIA) = $250.

Social Security will add that $250 to her reduced retirement benefit amount of $875 and her new benefit amount at full retirement age will be $1,125, which is less than the full spouse’s rate.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug