Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I RECEIVED A LETTER IN THE MAIL SAYING SINCE MY HUSBAND

Customer Question

I RECEIVED A LETTER IN THE MAIL SAYING SINCE MY HUSBAND RECENTLY DIED, I COULS GET HIS BENEFITS. I TRULY DO NOT KNOW IF I APPLIED FOR THEM.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The letter says I get benefits as a survivor...if I apply for benefits on my own social security number, I may get higher benefits......
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My husband died in November.....
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Hi My name's Lane, I can help here.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment and I’ll provide my initial response and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you should apply for the Survivor Benefit. Although Social Security will not "stack" benefits, as they call it, if the survivor benefit is higher than yours they will take you up TO that higher benefit, by paying a combination of your own benefit and the survivor benefit.

...

Survivor benefits, however (so sorry) are about the ONLY benefits that cannot be applied for online.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday.

...

OR

...

You can go to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

...

Click here for a Social Security Office locator, where you can enter a zip code to find the closest office.

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the time & expertise here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane