Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am trying to apply for my exhusbans ss benefits who died

Customer Question

I am trying to apply for my exhusbans ss benefits who died April 26, 2017
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.

...

Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies.

...

In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

...

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

What will happen when I report a death?

• If you are getting benefits on your spouse's or parent's record:
    • You generally will not need to file an application for survivors’ benefits.
    • We'll automatically change any monthly benefits you receive to survivor benefits after we receive the report of death.
    • We may be able to pay the Special Lump-Sum Death Payment automatically.
  • If you are getting retirement or disability benefits on your own record:
    • You will need to apply for the survivor benefits.
    • We will check to see whether you can get a higher benefit as a widow or widower.
  • If you are not getting benefits, you should apply for survivor benefits promptly because, in some cases, benefits may not be retroactive.

...

Now, bear with me a moment and I'll show you the documents you'll need

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Documents you may need to provide

We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:

• Proof of the worker's death;
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info]; and
  • Marriage certificate

...

Important

...

We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate. (We will return them to you.)

...

Do not delay filing your claim just because you do not have all the documents. We will help you get them.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need an appt to talk about this
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
pl call me with what i need or an appt
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here. This is JustAnswer.com ... a website that puts highly credentialed experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security to tax to finance, generally.

...

I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are for doing this.

...

(1) By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday.

...

OR

...

(2) You can go to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

...

Click here for a Social Security Office locator, where you can enter a zip code to find the closest office.