keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

How do I change the bank account that my Social Security

Customer Question

How do I change the bank account that my Social Security check is being put into now?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I need to change the account number, not the bank.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: The check is presently being direct deposited into the account of my deceased husband who is primary on the account and I am secondary. I am wanting to close out that account and need to change the deposit to my account.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

There are three ways to accomplish what you want to do.

1. The easiest way is to check with the bank where the new account is that you want your benefits deposited. The banks often offer this service for their customers.

2. You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-***-***-**** and ask them to make the change. The only problem with this is the wait on "Hold" can be very, very long.

So, if that's the case, you can see if your local Social Security office publishes a phone number (some do, some don't). You can use this link to determine that:

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

3. The last way, and most direct method if your bank doesn't offer the service is to make the change yourself online. In order to do that you will need to go to ssa.gov and set up a "My Social Security" account. Once you do that, you will see that there are a number of things you can do and information you can obtain through that website. One of the options is to change the bank account information where your benefits are deposited.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or need any further assistance.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,