Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I want to investigate whether my 18 year old grandson who

Customer Question

I want to investigate whether my 18 year old grandson who suffers a variety of conditions and is on the Autism spectrum as a result of his mother suffering a stroke on the morning of his birth is eligible for Supplemental Security Income while he completes a program for special students through the Kent Intermediate School District programs in Grand Rapids. His ultimate goal is to live independently of course.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am meeting with his team of professionals Forrest Hills Schools in Grand Rapids tomorrow and hope to visit a Social Security Administration office in the late morning. I would love to be prepared for that meeting. Is there anything you suggest I should read today to prepare for tomorrow?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Here's an absolutely excellent overview. Be sure to read the blue insert titled "Impairments that Qualify for Autism Disability Benefits:"

...

http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/disabling-conditions/autism-and-social-security-disability

...

And given your objectives, you'll want to look at the SSA piece on this (if you haven't). Regarding the objective of becoming independent. you may want to look at the Employment support programs information that starts on page 9 (given that he's under 22 and in school)

...

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10026.pdf

...

And there are countless other articles from non-profits that support those on the spectrum and their family and from Legal Blogs as well.

...

I'll send those along next so as to separate what I think is an very good foundation - from the volume of information that, quite honestly, can be overwhelming.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the time & expertise here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

..

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986